Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faul

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faulty for whole measure rests in 4/2 time)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:18:54 -0500

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 15:52 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:

> > > (ok - I don't know what this is about, I guess because I have never
> > used
> > > importmidi in earnest)
> >
> > Where you at one time trying to get a midi controller or usb midi
> > connector for your midi controller? Have you given up on that idea
> > since
> > you have the pitch detection working better for you?
> It did slip down the priority list as a result of getting the pre-amp.
> Then it went up again as I discovered the hum was getting in before the
> pre-amp (it's rather erratic). Then it went down again as I found that
> if I powered the small Yamaha keyboard via batteries it solved the mains
> hum problem (naturally).
> However, I have been tempted by the local supermarket offering a 61-note
> Yamaha keyboard at a low price - I tend to run out of notes on the small
> keyboard I have been using.

I have a studiologic 88 key midi controller. It produces no sound
because it is a dedicated midi controller. It has weighted keys so it
feels closer to a piano than most keyboards. It only cost me $250. I
purchased it on sale at Guitar Center. I am currently connecting it with
a tascam us-122 usb sound card. I do not recommend this sound card
though. After 2 years of good usage it is broken. Only midi works on it
now. I use to own a MAudio 1x1 uno that worked well for me. I gave it to
a friend when I purchased the tascam. I am actually considering buying
another MAudio uno because in the studio I teach in they have a digital
piano that can be controlled via midi. I thought it would be cool.

>  But it doesn't have a USB output, only midi
> connector, and so I started looking for those, only to find that they
> are much more expensive. Which I can't really understand, as I see midi
> to USB conversion cables sold for next to nothing - I don't know what
> these really do, let alone whether Alsa &c support them...

I think you asked in a previous email about how these work with linux.
After you have loaded the appropriate firmware to the device it creates
a device node at /dev/midi00 or /dev/snd/midi00 or something. You can
open this up in c as if it was a file. Then just read the stream of midi
data.