Re: [be] Greetings and question about project files

From: Daniel Owens
Subject: Re: [be] Greetings and question about project files
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:00:58 +0700

Dan,

Dan Dennison wrote:
On Feb 16, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Daniel Owens wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way to have a custom .bibledit folder when using Bibledit in Windows. I have a dual boot setup (so I can run Libronix), so my projects are on a second hard drive formatted in NTFS. A symlink in my home folder in Linux makes it work there, but what about Windows? I understand that Vista supports symlinks, but what about XP? Would it be possible to create an option in the gui to have a custom location for project files?

In Windows XP, you can create a hard link.

I will try the hard link. I thought I tried that command, but it didn't work. I read that it only works on the same drive. I will try it again, though. Failing that, I realized why my Windows partition wasn't mounting in Linux (changed uuid), so I can keep the files on the Windows partition if need be.
C:\>fsutil hardlink create
Usage : fsutil hardlink create <new filename> <existing filename>
   Eg : fsutil hardlink create c:\foo.txt c:\bar.txt

The code that creates/specifies the data directory is called tiny_directories_get_root(), which returns a ustring containing the path to the data directory (currently $HOME/.bibledit)

Yeah, that is a Linux-type configuration.
tiny_utilities.cpp:
root_directory = tiny_gw_build_filename(g_get_home_dir(), ".bibledit");

The idea to create a UI to specify where to store the Bibledit data makes sense to me. I wonder if perhaps putting it under Application Data might be a bit better.

As a default I think it would be better there, or even in a folder under My Documents so users can see clearly where their translation is stored. It is the kind of document you don't want to lose and you want to back up frequently.
The catch-22 here will be that on startup, Bibledit will need to find where to find it. The XML config file is stored inside of this, so that might not help. Perhaps hard-coding the XML config file to $HOME/.bibledit/configuration, and then loading everything else from there?

dan :)

Yeah, I gathered that. In my opinion, the more the user can configure where the data goes the better. If the config file needs to be in a standard location, that's no problem. Like you said, hard code the xml file.

Daniel