Re: [be] How to sync with Paratext

From: Dennis Drescher
Subject: Re: [be] How to sync with Paratext
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:12:47 +0700

Hi Teus,

Teus Benschop wrote:
> Yet all of these programs have their data stored in their own hidden
> folder (.thunderbird, .mozilla, .Skype)...

Yes but my point was that for the average user the only reality exists in files they can see in an application like Nautilus. However...

> I believe that the model described above to protect the data is one
> that strikes a good balance between the needs of the novice user,
> security, and the needs of the advanced one.

I would agree and the issue of the average user accidentally deleting their data is real and for that reason I would agree that staying with the model you now have would be best. Maybe I should look at the documentation surrounding that subject and see if it could be improved to help average users find their data. (Of course I'd have to write it if it needed improvement. ;-) Plus, if you were to go to the one book per file layout that would make things easier too for end users to work with their data outside of BE, if they had to. For example I could link directly with my publishing system to the data in the .bibledit area with no problem if they were one book per file. BTW, it might might be good if you used book IDs as the file name, e.g. mat.usfm.

> Having said this all, I do like your idea of making it easier to
> "ln -s" to the new directory of the user's choice where he will
> store his data, and invite you to submit a task for that.

Well, now that I think about it, it may not be the best idea if we want to protect the user's data from accidental deletion. "ln -s" just helps bring the data out where the user can delete it easier. :-( If you delete a linked file with -s it kills the original too.

I think more thought will need to go into this. I think we should explore data portability issues at some point as well (moving a project from one system to another with a single file). For now, all things considered, I'd be glad if BE just used the one book per file model and had good documentation to find the data if the user had to sync with an external application.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Denis,

When the topic is about ease of use for the computer novice, one can
notice that programs like Thunderbird, Firefox and Skype are good
examples of programs that new users will easily master, even on Linux.

Yet all of these programs have their data stored in their own hidden
folder (.thunderbird, .mozilla, .Skype). It seems therefore that the
hidden location of their data files is not a hindrance for ease of use
for novice users. The key here is that all three programs mentioned do
not normally need the computer user to have access to their data. All
their data is operated through the menu. The advantage of using hidden
folders is that is is not easy for a computer user to erase this data by
accident. If for example Thunderbird would store their data in the
folder ~/thunderbird, then the data would be visible in Nautilus. It
would take a simple press on the Del button to loose all the data. In
order to give better protection to the data, many programs have decided
that on Linux they store it in hidden folders. It takes much more effort
in these case to loose the data by accident.

Bibledit too has decided that normally users do not need to access its
data, so it was protected by putting it in hidden folders. In
Thunderbird if one wishes to save an email, one has to use "Save As". In
Bibledit, similarly, if one wishes to save the USFM files, one has to
"Export" these.

I believe that the model described above to protect the data is one that
strikes a good balance between the needs of the novice user, security,
and the needs of the advanced one.

Having said this all, I do like your idea of making it easier to "ln -s"
to the new directory of the user's choice where he will store his data,
and invite you to submit a task for that. By default Bibledit will then
store its data hidden so protecting it, but if the advanced user wishes
to take the risk, and knows what he is doing, well, let him have the
option to do so. Thunderbird too allows the user to change the location
where it stores the data. And yes, if book files are needed, rather than
chapter ones, (and I do see the point that you make), pls. go ahead to
submit this task too.

Thanks for the points your brought up, and reading thus far...

Teus.