Re: [be] How to sync with Paratext

From: Dennis Drescher
Subject: Re: [be] How to sync with Paratext
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:43:04 +0700

Hi Teus,

Let me make a couple comments here. I want to take the point of view of a new user. I mean no disrespect and like you, I only want to see things become more usable for everyone. I've been using Linux for five years now but I'm often amazed as to what people except as "normal". For example:

Teus Benschop wrote:
> In defence of the standard location being .bibledit, it can be brought
> forward that in Linux the "dot-applicationname" is very common. In a
> typical home directory one can find .ssh, .wine, .vmware,
> .thunderbird, .mozilla, .Skype, and so on, and so on.

Average new user speaking: "Where can I find these files with "dots" on the front of them? I open up Nautilus and I can't find a single file in my entire hard drive with a dot on the front of it. What's up with that?"

Can you see the problem here? I know that .filename is standard Linux but standard for who? Certainly not new or even semi-experienced users. That's the magic-under-the-hood-stuff that average users don't want to mess with.

I'm not against keeping them in .bibledit, especially if you can make them book files instead of chapter files. However, what you might consider doing is having a "public" location and provide a simple file finder dialog to the user to link the files out to the folder of their choosing. It would just be a simple behind-the-scene ln -s command for BE. That might be a way to make it seem more natural for newer users. Just an idea.

In Him,

Dennis

Teus Benschop wrote:
Hi Gang,

I am responding to calls to put the data in book files rather than in
chapter files, and to allow the user to easily put the data where he or
she wants.

The last points is easier to answer than the first one, so let me start
with the one about allowing the user to put the data where he wants.

Normally Bibledit stores its data in ~/.bibledit. To move it elsewhere,
move the ~/.bibledit directory to another directory, and than create a
symbolic link from ~/.bibledit to that new directory. That is all.

In defence of the standard location being .bibledit, it can be brought
forward that in Linux the "dot-applicationname" is very common. In a
typical home directory one can
find .ssh, .wine, .vmware, .thunderbird, .mozilla, .Skype, and so on,
and so on.

The first point is to put the data in book files, so that, in
combination with the free choice of the data location, collaboration
with Paratext becomes simpler.

Actually early version of Bibledit have the data stored in book form.
And early version of Bibledit had an option to "Link" to Paratext files.
But the linking to PT had a disadvantage, and that was that doing that
was messy. Once the "real" collaboration system was introduced into
Bibledit, first using subversion, later git, then the messy
collaboration with Paratext by linking was troubling the system. If any
collaboration with other editors are to take place, then it should now
go through the collaboration engine, in this case git.

Once collaboration came in, or even before that, it was found to improve
the speed of the system when data was stored one chapter per file. This
is because the editing happens per chapter too. So no extraction of that
one chapter was needed, and no integration of an edited chapter into the
bigger file was needed.

Those that still want to collaborate with Paratext, there is a
less-than-easy work-around. One can export all the books to USFM files,
then import these into Paratext, then do the editing in Paratext, then
re-import Paratext's files into Bibledit.

Having said all the above though, I am willing to consider and implement
anything that makes life easier for the users. Therefore if you need the
things discussed above, pls. submit feature requests (now called
"tasks") in order to have that done.

Regards,

Teus.

X-Quarantine ID  /var/spool/MD-Quarantine/08/qdir-2008-12-22-08.36.21-003