Re: [be] How to sync with Paratext

From: Dennis Drescher
Subject: Re: [be] How to sync with Paratext
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:10:39 +0700

Hi Teus,

About encoding, personally, I'd recommend that if the PTX project is not in Unicode, don't even worry about collaboration. That project's biggest problem is not how to share data but how to get data in the right form to begin with. There are very few excuses these days for not having your data in Unicode. Once the data is in Unicode and USFM, let the collaboration begin.

Teus Benschop wrote:
... because bibledit's collaboration system works with one file per
> chapter. And the files are stored in folders like <book>/<chapter>.

I would challenge you (in the friendliest way) to consider putting the data in book files rather than one chapter per file. And not only that but allow the user to easily put their project wherever they want. If that were the case, I think colaboration between BE and PTX would be easier. Plus, from a user's perspective, being able to find my data in a form I recognize and in a place that is familiar is very helpful. Right now, BE data, IMO, is a bit of an island.

FWIW,

Dennis

--
Dennis Drescher