Re: [avrdude-dev] attiny10 with ftdi and bitbang

From: Darell Tan
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] attiny10 with ftdi and bitbang
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:43:19 +0800

Hi Matt,

avrdude uses regular serial ports for bitbang programmers. The FTDI
chips appear as a virtual serial port, so they have to play by the
rules. The receive pin is used to receive, therefore it doesn't make
sense for a program to be able to control this line for output.

However, FTDIs also have another GPIO-like mode, in which all (?) pins
can be used for general purpose I/O. When used in this mode, the
serial port restrictions don't apply because they aren't serial ports
any more. This is what the "avrftdi" programmer uses, though TPI isn't
implemented there, and I think FT232R's are not supported. I may be
wrong about this though.

Well at least you got it to work :) If you want the convenience,
you'll have to use an FTDI breakout board instead.

--
Regards,
Darell Tan