Re: [avrdude-dev] Initial STK600 support committed to CVS

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Initial STK600 support committed to CVS
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:35:10 -0800

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
I got enough of STK600
support in AVRDUDE up & running today to commit it to CVS.  Covered so
far is programming the "classic" 8-bit AVRs (AT90, ATtiny, ATmega),
using the same methods that are available already for the STK500 (ISP,
PP, HVSP).
Very good!

Adding support for the STK600's on-board JTAG programmer might follow,
it's an encapsulation of the JTAG ICE mkII protocol so I'd have to see
how to put wrappers around our jtag2 handlers.
Sounds very useful.

Alas, adding support for the ATXmegas will require quite a bit more of
work than I anticipated.  These parts are really different from the
classic AVRs in many respects, and so the entire programming scheme is
also quite different.  From a high-level point of view, several areas
in the Xmegas can be accessed separately (including erasing them
separately), like bootloader and application flash.  That alone will
require UI changes.
Yes... I noticed that as well. I was looking at the XMega128a1 datasheet with the idea of doing a configuration entry for it... and decided it was too radically different to dig into.

From a low-level point of view, the STK600 uses a completely different
command set for them.  This in turn will require a number of new
parameters to be added to the configuration file.  That got me back to
the idea we've been discussing some time ago: the current avrdude.conf
is a half-megabyte lump of text, almost unmaintainable anymore the way
we used to do it.  We'd better generate as much as possible (if not
all) for each new AVR device by converting Atmel's partdescription XML
files, so some XML dialect for a new configuration file would seem a
quite natural choice to me.
I agree that a style sheet based XML->XML translator is probably the way to go here. XML is somewhat verbose, but all sorts of parsers and viewers and checkers and editors exist, so unless there is a strong motivation to use something else, even XML-haters should just hold their nose a go with it.

The size of the conf file isn't really so much of a storage issue these days. Maybe a performance issue just reading it all in. I'd like to suggest creating a conf directory, and put one XML file per part number in the conf directory. People who care about disk space can rm the one's they don't want, and it would also be easy to distribute updates.

Last time we've been discussing it, the only/main concern with
per-device configuration files was that scattering several dozens of
files on the target system contributes to wasted disk space due to
file system fragmentation.  If that's the only point, I'd propose a
scheme where there are separate XML files (one per device, one per
programmer) within the development tree, but they will then be
combined into a single avrdude-conf.xml during the build, so the
target system will still have just one configuration file.
Is this really an issue? I can think of tools that have much worse directory habits that this change would cause --- browser cache, for instance.

-dave