RE: [avrdude-dev] Initial STK600 support committed to CVS

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Initial STK600 support committed to CVS
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:18:12 -0600

This has got to be a complete non-issue. What with hard disk sizes per
cost these days, it shouldn't matter if there is some wasted space due
to fragmentation. I would much rather have a file organization that
makes sense.

> If that's the only point, I'd propose a
> scheme where there are separate XML files (one per device, one per
> programmer) within the development tree, but they will then be
> combined into a single avrdude-conf.xml during the build, so the
> target system will still have just one configuration file.

This just adds another unnecessary step to the build process. Please
don't.

> Are there any preferences for an XML parser library to use?

Something that will work cross-platform. Last I saw, libxml is used in
the xmlstar project (sourceforge) successfully on multiple platforms.

> Any other things to consider?

I definitely lean towards one xml file per device or per programmer. It
makes it simpler to add support (just add a new file). These files
should probably be kept in a standardized named subdirectory tree,
relative to where the avrdude executable is located.

Thanks for doing all the great work for supporting the STK600! :-)

Eric Weddington