Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on FreeBSD/sparc64

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on FreeBSD/sparc64
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:21:41 +0200

As E. Weddington wrote:

> > FreeBSD's avarice port is IMHO quite out of date due to the still
> > not yet finally decided libbfd issue, so I didn't try that.
> > (Brian, any chance to look at the libbfd port skeleton I've once
> > sent to you?)

> What's the libbfd issue?

AVaRICE requires a libbfd to build (in order to be able to read ELF
files directly), but FreeBSD (apparently unlike Linux) doesn't install
one, even though libbfd.a is built when building the (FreeBSD-native)
binutils.

There were a few ideas how to solve this, one was to create a separate
libbfd port that could handle any and all binary formats (including
the kitchensink :-), another one was that avarice releases would
contain a private copy of the libbfd source code.

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> > Is there anything that UISP can handle which avrdude cannot?
> > Would it be worth the while reactivating that port?

> The DASA devices.

Good point.  While I personally don't think DASA is such a cool idea,
it's an occasionally asked for item.

> > I tested binutils/gcc/avr-libc/simulavr/avr-gdb so far.  When
> > testing a simple application in simulavr, I've been surprised it
> > actually triggered a timer overflow int :) (I haven't been using
> > it for a while now), but for whatever reason it caused the
> > application to reset, even though I believe the ISR is correctly
> > in place (since it does work on a real device :).

> Can you send me more info on that privately?

I'd first like to verify all of this again.  I'll also check against a
simulavr session on FreeBSD/IA32 though I don't believe the results
would be different (since I don't suspect byte order and/or 32-/64-bit
issues in simulavr).