Re: [avrdude-dev] programming 128

From: Erick Castillo
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] programming 128
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:05:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Lou wrote:

> On 15 May 2003 at 15:56, Erick   Castillo wrote:
>
> > The device has indeed worked. In fact, it's running now. But in order to
> > get it running, what i have to do is use 3.7 V to start up and then raise
> > the voltage up to 5V so the other chips on the board get powered. Finally,
> > I reset and everything works fine. It's just the boot up process that is
> > acting strangely.
>
> I would check those *other* chips too -- say a defective reset
> circuitry, an anomaly in the power supply chain, etc.
> Not to forget the clock circuitry: could be that power is rising
> too fast for the oscillator to stabilize, giving weird side
> effects.
>
> Lou

I scanned the board some and found that my reset circuit was
indeed somewhat defective. The reset pin was not rising with Vcc... once i
changed that, things got a little better. Now the issue I think is that
the power supply i have does not rise fast enough. If i keep the board
plugged in and shut the power supply and turn it back on, the board does
not boot. If instead I tap the power pin with the supply lead, then the
board boots fine. Strange behavior to say the least, but at least I know
my chips aren't defected... or at least that is the conclusion i've drawn.

Anyway, thanks for all the help folks.

--Erick