Re: [avrdude-dev] programming 128

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] programming 128
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:28:18 -0400

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 07:13:54PM -0700, Erick Castillo wrote:

> I'm currently trying to program an atmega128. The first thing i'd like to
> do is get it out of 103 compatibility mode. I ran the following command
>
> r ef
>
> but i'm not sure what the output of this is telling me. I get the
> following line:
>
> 0000 00                       |.      |
>
> How do I read this?

This is saying that the extended fuse bits are all set to 0's.  Not
sure how this is possible really, as only one of them is defined.  To
disable M103C, try:

        avrdude> w efuse 0 0xff

> Also, for some odd reason, I cannot get through the verification process
> in avrdude. I'm using the exact same method as I did with some atmega32
> chips that I had and always erase before i load. For some reason, I get
> the same mismatch at the exact same location, 0x0000.
>
> 0x0c != 0x00
>
> Any ideas on this one?

Perhaps your chip is not already erased?  Try adding the '-e' flag to
the command line when you load your flash.

> Finally, when I erase the atmega128 I get an erase-rewrite cycle count. I
> never got this before when I erased the atmega32 chips. Are there any
> concerns here?

AVRDUDE will report a cycle count if the last 4 bytes of eeprom are
not 0xffffffff, thinking that you are wanting to track that
information.  It is harmless unless you specify the '-y' option, in
which case it will try and increment that number by 1 each time you
erase the chip.

Cheers,
-Brian
--