Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #35467] Not sure this the right plce to submit t

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #35467] Not sure this the right plce to submit this but...
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:16:16 +0100

On 08/02/2012 17:12, Daved wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. It's not always clear where to post
problems with this stuff.

I have since done a general web search for the problem and did find a
code correction for w5100.h. I was about to try it when my Arduino
ATmega328P chip went bad and I am now waiting for another one in the
mail. It's still puzzling why an earlier complier version works while a
newer one does not.

Personally, I would not be happy without knowing what has changed, why the old w5100.h did not work with the newer compiler, and why the new w5100.h does work. These things are usually a case of errors in the source code (such as missing volatiles, or strict aliasing issues) that play badly with the newer optimiser. But I would want to know exactly what the problem is, so that I could be sure it won't occur elsewhere in the same program, and so that I wouldn't make the same mistake myself in the future.

Since you have a new version of the header file that fixes the issue (at least, that's the idea), then the first thing to do is compare the old and new headers and find the differences. The chances are the it is only a small part that has been changed.

mvh.,

David

Anyway, I have already spent way too much time tracking this down so
other than testing the code correction when I get a new chip, I am going
to let it rest

Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joerg Wunsch" <address@hidden>