Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #35467] Not sure this the right plce to submit t

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #35467] Not sure this the right plce to submit this but...
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 08:47:03 +0100

On 07/02/2012 16:50, David DeHaven wrote:

         Percent Complete: 0%
              Assigned to: None
              Open/Closed: Open
          Discussion Lock: Any
                  Release: Unknown
            Fixed Release: None

For future reference, remember that when you make a bug report, the "summary" is critical - it lets people see at a glance what the problem is, it is used for searching for similar problems, and is used in reports of outstanding issues. If you are having difficulty summarising your problem in a short phrase, then that is a very good indication that you are not ready to submit a bug report. After all, if you are not able to concisely express the problem, how are other people going to understand it?

Back to the problem at hand - it is most likely an issue with the source code, not the compiler or library. Obviously I can't be concrete without knowing details of the problem, but that's how the statistics lie - almost all issues are in the user source code, not the tools. So that is the first place to look - contact the authors and the project mailing list for help.

If you think the problem is with the compiler, or perhaps a misunderstanding about use of the compiler, then the avr-gcc mailing list might be able to help you out. But you will need to establish exactly what is going wrong first - to be able to help, people need minimal code snippets that illustrate the problem.

Hope that helps,

David

Details:

OLD: gcc version 4.3.3 (WinAVR 20100110)
NEW: gcc version 4.5.1 (AVR_8_bit_GNU_Toolchain_3.3.1_422)

I am building an Arduino project that uses the Ethernet Shield. w5100.cpp is
giving me trouble. Building w5100 with the OLD version works. Building w5100
with the NEW version does not work. It builds OK with both. By work I am
referring to the runtime interaction with the W5100 chip on the Ethernet
shield.

I can build all files except w5100.cpp with the NEW version, but w5100.cpp has
to be built with the OLD version to make it work.

   <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35467>