[avr-libc-dev] [bug #35483] ./configure does not accept --target

From: Rolf Ebert
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #35483] ./configure does not accept --target
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 16:14:27 +0000

        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 1.8.0
           Fixed Release: None

Details:

I didn't build avr-libc so I don't know when this (mis)feature appeared...

The top level configure script requires to spell out --host=avr. IMHO this is
unfortunate for several reasons:

1) the product is called avr-libc. I wouldn't expect it to provide anything
else (e.g. a libc for ARM) than a libc for avr. Nevertheless you have to type
that option altough the only permitted value is 'avr*'

2) It is a library for my 'target', not for my 'host'.  The hosting machine
typically is a Linux or Windows PC.  That's why I stumbled over this issue in
the first place. I naivly tried "./configure --target=avr" as for binutils and
gcc and it failed.  (I can vaguely imagine a logic why it is called host, but
that's very counterintuitive!)

3) I had a third reason when I opened the issue but I don't remember
anymore...

I propose to accept --target= as an equivalent to --host in the first step,
correct the build instructions and then to deprecate --host as a target
indicator (it might still be useful for an alternative name of --build in case
config.guess fails to correctly detect the hosting machine)

    Rolf

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35483>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/