Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #35467] Not sure this the right plce to submit t

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #35467] Not sure this the right plce to submit this but...
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:34:11 +0100

On 09/02/2012 09:39, Vidya Praveen wrote:
On 2/9/2012 1:46 PM, David Brown wrote:
On 08/02/2012 20:17, Vidya Praveen wrote:
Hi

Things change in the compiler and there are often cases which are not
covered due to several reasons. it's not uncommon to see something that
works in a earlier version stops working later. It will be great if you
could reduce your test case and/or find out what is going wrong and post
this in avr-gcc-list.If you think the problem is specific to AVR
Toolchain, I recommend you to contact the Atmel support. Thanks

You are probably better off posting such information to the avr-gcc
mailing list rather than Atmel support.  I have nothing to complain
about regarding Atmel's support team - I have certainly encountered far
worse - but by posting to the avr-gcc mailing list you get the
information directly to the people responsible for the avr port of gcc,
and you also inform other avr-gcc users.

I wanted to mean that when it seem specific to "AVR Toolchain" from Atmel.
There are situations when it may seem so or it is so. Mostly because of the way
it is packaged or any patches used that are not committed.

Regards
Vidya Praveen

That's true enough - sometimes the "official" toolchains from Atmel differ slightly from the mainline gcc releases. But the people from Atmel who are involved are all on the avr-gcc mailing list, so you get to them more directly that way.

However, it's a good point that if you think there is a problem with the toolchain, then when posting you should make it clear that it is the Atmel AVR Toolchain rather than mailine gcc, as well as stating the versions.

mvh.,

David