Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [RFC] Unified ELF file

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [RFC] Unified ELF file
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:42:03 -0400

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:38:04 -0400, Eric Weddington <address@hidden> wrote:

What about doing something like this?:
- Add code to the startup code (gcrt1.S)

Will there be a gcr1.S that does not have this new added code?

I've literally spent weeks on some projects to get the code
to "just fit" in the existing hardware [*].  Anything that
grows in these 'hidden' files is bad news, especially
for optional features that I know I will not be utilizing.

* For the quantity of AVRs we utilize and the government
red tape we have to deal with, the boss sees my time
as cheaper to spend weeks on beating the software into submission,
rather than change the hardware.  Boss: "Just squeeze in this one more
new feature..."  "Isn't there something you can cutout/remove/optimize?"
Me: "Everything that could be cutout/removed/optimized went
a long time ago. What existing feature do you want me to remove to get space
for the new feature?"  Boss: "None!".  Me:  "I might be able to gain
a few bytes if I go to pure assembly language." Boss:" No, don't do that!".
Tune in tomorrow for As The Code Turns...