Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] Unified ELF file

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] Unified ELF file
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:17:28 +0100

Eric Weddington wrote:
[...]
Some questions:
- Does this hybrid approach have any merit? Should it be done differently?

I for one would be ok with it, even in its current form ;)

- How can the API be changed to ensure that all fuse bytes are set by the
user?

Couldn't this be done using "__attribute__((weak))"? We could declare these variables in some core code (crt0?) and let the linker toss them away if the user declares them again in the code.

They couldn't be declared in fuse.h, as it would be like declaring them twice in the same source.

I'm not sure this could be done, though. Just tossing some ideas...

- Any thoughts on why -combine -fwhole-program is failing to include all
input fuse sections?

I think gcc is able to tell that those variables aren't being used anywhere in the program so it just optimizes them away.

It couldn't do that without "-combine -fwhole-program" because it didn't have a "global" view of the entire program, and the variables could be used by some other source file, since they were not "static".

Declaring them to be "volatile" will probably solve that.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."