RE: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [RFC] Unified ELF file

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [RFC] Unified ELF file
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:41:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Eric Weddington wrote:

> Oh? And how would non-default fuse value not produce surprises? Default fuse
> values are known good values and can be looked up in the datasheet.

??
How would a value specified by the user produce surprise?
In case I wasn't clear, I was suggesting that in the absence
of a user-specified value that failure, preferably with a
useful error message, is better than a default.

> I have many real-world cases where this overall feature is useful, and if
> the user acceidentally does not specify a fuse byte, then a default should
> be used. If it can even be done.

Consider this scenario:
The user has a system with a functioning UART.
He loads an elf file with a default lfuse valuue.
The UART stops working.

> I'm not turning this into a bike-shed event. Patches welcome.

What is a bike-shed event?
What would you like a patch to do?

For the user that wants to say use a default value,
perhaps the header file can define the appropriate constants.

--
Mike   address@hidden
"Pax Romana was a Visigoth." -- Theo Vavrina