[avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: What Happened to the sbi() and cbi

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: What Happened to the sbi() and cbi() Macros????
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:15:09 +0100

As Victoria Welch wrote:

> Academic purity is a fine thing, but there is a real world out there
> where everyone doesn't have a doctorate in C and (believe it or not
> :-) doesn't want one :-).

I've got an EE degree, believe it or not. ;-)  I could once tell you
how to create solder bumps on silicon chips, at least that's what my
thesis had been about.  I've also been taught a lot about ion
implantation, diffusion equations etc. pp.  I haven't been taught all
that much about programming languages, basically only about FORTRAN,
something I almost completely forgot since -- and no, I wouldn't whine
for a FORTRAN compiler for the AVR even though I've once been really
used to that language. ;-)  The times, they are a'changin'.

> Most importantly there is the issue of backwards compatibility.
> This *IS* a serious real world consideration.

That's why we have been maintaining backwards-compatible macros for
the past 2.5 years.  To give people a chance to migrate slowly.

However, it seems 99.9 % of all the people who started using these
macros did start using them when they were already marked
`deprecated', for whatever reason.  (The AVR-GCC community has been
fairly small three years ago.  There was no WinAVR by that time, and
the old `avrfreaks' port of GCC was already fairly dated, and soon no
longer be usable with real-world AVR chips like the ATmega128 at all.)

73!