[avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: What Happened to the sbi() and cbi

From: Victoria Welch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: What Happened to the sbi() and cbi() Macros????
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:35:28 -0800

On Monday 31 January 2005 14:15, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Victoria Welch wrote:
> > Academic purity is a fine thing, but there is a real
> > world out there where everyone doesn't have a doctorate
> > in C and (believe it or not
> >
> > :-) doesn't want one :-).
>
> I've got an EE degree, believe it or not. ;-)  I could
> once tell you how to create solder bumps on silicon
> chips, at least that's what my thesis had been about.
> I've also been taught a lot about ion implantation,
> diffusion equations etc. pp.  I haven't been taught all
> that much about programming languages, basically only
> about FORTRAN, something I almost completely forgot since
> -- and no, I wouldn't whine for a FORTRAN compiler for
> the AVR even though I've once been really used to that
> language. ;-)  The times, they are a'changin'.

LOL, I'm gonna hold out for a COBOL port for the avr, God
knows I'd be embarrased to admit how much of that I have
written over the years (and would indeed prefer to forget
it :-).

> > Most importantly there is the issue of backwards
> > compatibility. This *IS* a serious real world
> > consideration.
>
> That's why we have been maintaining backwards-compatible
> macros for the past 2.5 years.  To give people a chance
> to migrate slowly.

This is all good and fine, but it still doesn't change the
fact that there are PILES out existing code out there that
use it.

> However, it seems 99.9 % of all the people who started
> using these macros did start using them when they were
> already marked `deprecated', for whatever reason.  (The
> AVR-GCC community has been fairly small three years ago.
> There was no WinAVR by that time, and the old `avrfreaks'
> port of GCC was already fairly dated, and soon no longer
> be usable with real-world AVR chips like the ATmega128 at
> all.)

Yep, it is a problem, no question about it.

IIRC, when I first discovered the avr-gcc toolchain (it was
a *HAPPY DANCE* day :-), I had a problem finding docs for
it, I don't remember exactly why now, something about some
site I could never get to comes to mind ?!??  Also not
helping was that the gentoo ebuilds were so old.  This is
why I am working at trying to help get it to be and stay
current.  Up until I got involved in this, my toolchain was
(still on the backup box):

  dev-embedded/avr-binutils
      Latest version available: 2.14
      Latest version installed: 2.14
      Size of downloaded files: 10,665 kB
      Homepage:    http://sources.redhat.com/binutils
microcontroller architecture
      License:     GPL-2

*  dev-embedded/avr-gcc
      Latest version available: 3.3-r1
      Latest version installed: 3.3-r1
      Size of downloaded files: 22,898 kB
      Homepage:    http://sources.redhat.com/binutils
microcontroller architecture
      License:     GPL-2

*  dev-embedded/avr-libc
      Latest version available: 1.0.2-r1
      Latest version installed: 1.0.2-r1
      Size of downloaded files: 353 kB
      Homepage:    http:////www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/
architecture
      License:     GPL-2

Thanks very much for your efforts es take care es 73, V
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K/7.  "Engineering is the art of making
what you want from things you can get."-  Jerry Avins