advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4al

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.net.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:24:03 -0400

Michael Fötsch wrote:
> Karl Fogel wrote:
>> That is, a website that accepts MP3 files and gives you back an Ogg
>> Vorbis file?
>
> I thought about a similar thing for videos, where I find it even more
> difficult to do a conversion.

Have you tried ffmpeg2theora?

> What you'd really want is a site that asks you for a URL, the site
> downloads the original, and you just download the converted file.
> Such a site could cache converted files to speed up requests, BUT
> that's where your legal problems start.

True, but as long as you follow DMCA safe harbor, you should be immune.

 > - Wouldn't it be hypocritical to use non-free formats in this way?

To some degree, but it's a useful interim steps.

> You'd outsource the dirty work of using proprietary/patented
> applications or formats, and you can still claim that your PC is
> "100% FSF-approved free software only".

True.  With regards to this outsourcing, someone will have to pay for
many codec licenses for the site, or risk being sued by patent holders
displeased by your converting away from their format.

 But not being able to watch
> that video that everyone talks about is one of the best incentives
> (for me, at least) to really start nagging web sites, the way you did
> with that radio station, or the way I tried with MIT OpenCourseWare
> (they answered, but they politely declined ;-).

If I can't play something, I convert but try to also complain (unless
it's DRM in which case I just boycott).

Matt Flaschen