advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4al

From: Pandu E Poluan
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.net.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:42:24 +0700

Transcoding from one lossy format onto another will always degrade quality. See http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Transcoding for a description and illustration.

Assuming that the original MP3 is good (e.g. encoded using LAME), transcoding to a similar bitrate or slightly-lower bitrate should not degrade too much; that's my experience transcoding from 128 kbps MP3's to ~128 kbps (approx) Ogg Vorbis, or even to ~96 kbps (approx) Ogg Vorbis.

Problem is if you have a sucky MP3, transcode to a too-low Ogg Vorbis... then people will complain that Ogg Vorbis destroys their song.

{p}