advocate

[Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.ne

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.net.
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 23:32:32 -0700

Hi, I'm sending two independent ideas in one email here.  I'm not sure
that's wise -- feel free to respond using separate mails :-).

1. Does anyone have the resources to set up an automated conversion
   site?  That is, a website that accepts MP3 files and gives you back
   an Ogg Vorbis file?  Although I ask "anyone", I guess "the FSF" is
   the likeliest candidate to do this.

   An automated converter (for both MP3 and WAV) would make things a
   lot easier for people.  I understand there may be some technical
   difficulty going from MP3 to Ogg Vorbis without compromising
   quality, but don't know how severe that problem is -- is it a
   showstopper?

   When I mentioned this idea to a friend (Seth Schoen), he worried
   there might be copyright concerns, similarly to how YouTube got hit
   with infringement suits on the grounds that in order to convert
   video data to their streaming format, they had to first make a copy
   of the data, and making that copy was already an infringement. (!)

   I don't know if there's any real legal risk here, but there's a big
   difference between a hosting site and a conversion site that gives
   you back something that you then host yourself.  So perhaps if the
   converter had some form the user clicks on that to certify that she
   has the legal right to whatever data she's converting, that would
   be protection enough.  (I Am Not A Lawyer, etc.)

2. A while ago -- before the playogg.org campaign was started, but
   after http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-audio-format-matters.html
   was posted -- I wrote to address@hidden asking that radio4all.net
   link to that article and encourage their uploaders to use Ogg
   Vorbis.  (See my mail below.)

   I never got a response.  Does anyone here have any contacts at
   radio4all.net?  It would be great to get them on board here.

   By the way, Mark Weaver suggested that when writing radio4all.net,
   it would be good to mention that "Democracy Now!" makes their audio
   available in Ogg Vorbis format (in addition to MP3).  Since
   "Democracy Now!" is a very well-respected program among independent
   media activists in the U.S., their use of Ogg Vorbis gives the
   campaign legitimacy.  That's a foot in the door we should use
   whenever it might help.

-Karl

Below is the message I sent to radio4all.net: