Re: [Swftools-common] about the wiki

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] about the wiki
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:23:48 +0100

On 11/11/2013 12:31 AM, Lists wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:56:52 +0100 Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> On 11/03/2013 06:21 PM, Lists wrote:
>>> I'm also currently hosting the Wiki and the ViewGIT on a custom VPS,
>>> which needs taking d have done is put own asap.  So, it will have to
>>> be relocated. I'll update/re-install Mediawiki and all the relevant
>>> plug-ins when I do it.
>> [Replying to a issue raised by one comment from Chris pasted above.]
>>
>> How about using GitHub for both git and the wiki?
>
> Funds, Pablo? ;o)  Plus..

I don’t have a cent ;-).

>  - Ricardo Pedroso already has a Githnb version/fork of SWFTools.

But this is a fork, as you mention.

I was thinking of a more “official” repository. Or a more centralized one.

>  - Matthias originally chose Mediawiki.  When he decided to move things
>    around, no-one else stepped forward to host it, so I did.

You are right. Mediawiki is a must.

>  - Matthias also holds/hosts/updates the original Git repository.  All
>    I do is grab a daily update, then layer the ViewGit interface over
>    it.   Allows for easy - GUI - browsing of the updates/changes.

And if you do that, wouldn’t it be easier to host the code (not the
wiki, but the code) at GitHub?

GitHub enables also another feature I miss from the SWFTools management:
an issue tracker.

I have reported issues in the past I’m afraid they haven’t been fixed.
With a public issue tracker, other people than Matthias can check
whether issues have been fixed or not. An even contribute code.

GitHub also provides another feature for coders: it makes code
contributions easier. Disclaimer: I cannot contribute code myself ;-).

>> Maybe a SWFTools user group could also be useful here.
>
> You are an avid user, Pablo!  ;o)  There are a few others, where I
> believe the main interest lies with pdf2swf, however is there is
> there really the user-base out there?   I feel a survey coming on.
> Maybe I should use as my starting point, an analysis of the server
> logs from the wiki?  ;o)

With a user group I meant not an amount of people, but an organization
as the author of the repository in GitHub. This is an example:
https://github.com/TEIC.

I think it could be helpful to make the development process of SWFTools
more visible. Maybe someone wants to step in ;-).

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk