Re: [Swftools-common] about the wiki

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] about the wiki
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 22:26:34 +0100

On 11/14/2013 11:01 PM, Lists wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:23:48 +0100 Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
> Possibly!  Again, Matthias hosts the Git repository on his OWN server.
> I grab a copy simply to make matters easier in respect of using my
> source installation of ViewGit, and to give others a GUI layer for
> viewing Matthias' official repository.  I make no changes to the
> this repository myself.
>
> Should Matthias wish to run ViewGit or similar on his own server, let
> me access his Git repository more fully, or transfer the whole caboodle
> himself to GitHub, then that is his decision, not mine. and therefore
> he is the person you should be asking, Pablo.

Sorry for the delayed answer again, Chris.

Of course, Matthias is the person to make a decision on this issue.

All I wanted to say here is that maybe GitHub (or a similar service) may
enable better cooperation. And it may also reduce Matthias’ workload on
swftools.

>> I have reported issues in the past I’m afraid they haven’t been fixed.
>> With a public issue tracker, other people than Matthias can check
>> whether issues have been fixed or not. An even contribute code.
>
> Fully agree with you.  All we need is the Matthias' green light along
> with public consensus, and away we go.  As stated previously, maybe a
> poll of all interested parties and mailing list readers, would be a
> good idea?

A poll may be fine. But I refer to a standard way of cooperating.

I remember watching a talk on git by Linus Torvalds. And he said there
(I don’t remember the very same words, of course) that he allows only
patches by email to only one person. And the reason for this was the
superior quality of his code. The rest should make pull requests.

This afternoon I have detected what it might be the second bug with
sound embedding. This time is when you embed .mp3 sound. The problem is
that the bug isn’t really properly reported until Matthias takes notice
of it.

This is a too heavy weight on anyone’s shoulders. swftools makes sense
as (any other open source) project when is not one-man enterprise.
Because it is more than a full-time job. Or a full-time hobby, in this case.

Of course, none can make the decision here for Matthias.

>> With a user group I meant not an amount of people, but an organization
>> as the author of the repository in GitHub. This is an example:
>> https://github.com/TEIC.
>
> Which would be taking some of the responsibility away from Matthias.
> He may wish that, he may not.  His opinion and permission to proceed
> in such a manner as you suggest, would be required. No?

Again, I cannot disagree with you in this point.

Cheers,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk