Re: [Swftools-common] .sound element in swfc

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] .sound element in swfc
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:46:22 +0100

On 11/11/2013 01:11 AM, Lists wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:01:57 +0100 Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> as I have reported in a previous message, swfc doesn’t embed .sound
>> elements in WAV format. It simply ignores it, since it seems not to be
>> compatible with lame 3.99.
>
> What has lame to do with .wav format?  .wav *is  a supported -

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I wanted to reply on Monday, but I had problems to get access to the
computer.

lame is required by swfc to embed .wav files in mp3 format.

If lame isn’t  present at compilation time, swfc will embed .wav files
in wav format. In other case, sound embedding will be in mp3 format.

>> Since lame-3.98 seems to work fine with swfc, I downgraded lame to
>> version 3.98. I‘m on Linux, but I guess this isn’t an option in
>> Windows.
>
> Why not?

It was my fault: not accurate explaination.

Precompiled binaries (Windows or Linux) don’t have this option. The
dependency has to be corrected and the binaries must be generated again.

BTW, the bug is real. I guess it should be fixed.

>> I want to experiment with sound compression. I would like to decrease
>> sound file size using a frequency rate of 8MHz.
>
> mp3 is already in compressed format, surely?

I want to experiment. I promise nothing will be destroyed ;-).

>> But how can I make swfc to compress this file with 8Mhz instead of
>> 16Mhz?
>
> I would have thought that the last thing you would wish to do, is
> sacrifice sound quality for file size, Pablo!

Again, I’m experimenting. I have compressed the sound I don’t notice any
significant difference from 16MHz to 8MHz.

But I would like to have a sample that I can share with others, so they
can test and comment.

> Cutting to the chase, issues with swfc compilation aside,  why not
> convert any .wav with wav2swf?   You can set the sample rate with
> that, then load/combine the 'sound' swf into a main swf.

Many thanks for the wav2swf tip. I will experiment with this.

But if this works, having the ability to reduce one step and directly
handle it through swfc without prior conversion would make things esier.

> Despite your attempts, and protestations, I am still of the opinion that
> you should stream, not embed mp3 and others.  File size will *always* be
> an issue otherwise.

But my previous attempt was successful to some extent. (I may agree with
you that this is a dangerous reward to my stubbornness ;-).)

> Maybe a further look at some of the GPL'd Flash file Player's out there,
> to check out any recent improvements?

I forgot to mention that Gnash developer Sandro Santilli fixed an issue
I opened the very first day I pointed to it.

There are another issues, but creating automated testcases for Gnash
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40459) is something I have to learn
first ;-).

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo