[Swftools-common] [PDF2SWF] PDF with table results in a slow to open swf

From: Géraud Frédéric
Subject: [Swftools-common] [PDF2SWF] PDF with table results in a slow to open swf
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:11:49 +0100

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list, I searched for a while in the archive to see if someone had already bumped into the same problem that I do and I found someone who had problem with tiled files which looks quite similar to my problem though I'm not sure it's the same exact problem. http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/swftools-common/2009-11/msg00154.html

My issue is that the conversion of some PDF files, sent by my customers and that were supposedly generated through PDFcreator (an old version but, as I said, the pdf are generated by customers, so I cannot change the version they use), seems to work well but results in a SWF file that is bigger than usual conversion and that takes 40-60 seconds to open in Chrome. The initial file looks like a table/grid with some pictures in it but I have no idea what the original format of the doc (before it was converted to pdf) was. It quite looks like some kind of excel file but I'm not sure.

I've run into this problem using version 0.9.0 (on windows), 0.9.1 and 0.9.2 (on RHEL). I tried different options, like convert fonts to fonts, everything else to bitmaps but to no avail.
Everything works fine with the developer snapshot version : the conversion results into a light SWF which opens smoothly in Chrome.

My question is : do you have a clue of what's causing this behavior ? Is there a way to fix it in 0.9.2 (maybe using some parameter) ? If not, would you consider using the development version for a production environment ?

Best regards,
Frédéric