[Savannah-register-public] [task #15221] Submission of Reproducible pape

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #15221] Submission of Reproducible paper template
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 12:33:10 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #20, task #15221 (project administration):

Thanks for the very thorough checks.

1) GNU FDL is now also available as COPYING.FDL
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/commit/?id=09bd0296d17> in the
top Gnuastro source directory. As described in the commit-message of the link
before, it was imported from Gnulib during bootstrapping and added to the
manual while building. So it wasn't present in the raw Gnuastro
version-controlled source.

2) I agree! The main problem is that this "Reproducible paper template"
project is just template: designed such that users must modify the source to
customize it for their projects. I used this wrongly written copyright
statement to encourage people to add a copyright to their added files.

But as you correctly point out, before their correction it makes the copyright
notice meaning-less. I went through the GPL, but couldn't find any example on
how to add a license to an already licensed code.

I am not a lawyer, but based on this part of the GPL (under Section 10), "Each
time you convey a covered work, the recipient automatically receives a license
from the original licensors, to run, modify and propagate that work, subject
to this License." is it correct for the person modifying the code to replace
their name with name of the original author(s)?

Or, should it be something like this:

Copyright (C) YYYY-YYYY, ORIGINAL AUTHOR.
Copyright (C) YYYY-YYYY, MODIFYING AUTHOR.

This question will also fix the last problem you raised on the two git
scripts. In that case, I have modified a previously written code (under MIT
license). In fact this case is a little more complicated: as far as I know,
unlike the GPL, the MIT license allows usage of any license. So how should I
say that the original author distributed it as MIT, but I distribute my
modifications to it under GPL?

After your recommendation, I'll be able to fix these two issues also.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful review.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15221>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/