Re: [Savannah-dev] debian packaging and protocol thoughts

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] debian packaging and protocol thoughts
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:23:30 +0100

Loic Dachary (2001-11-15 17:18:31 +0100) :

> Roland Mas writes:

>  > takes) in both Perl and Python using ORBit, or in help on designing
>  > the interfaces (that's not much harder than an OO model).  I'm told
>  > there are also bindongs for PHP, and there obviously are some for C
>  > and C++.
>
>       Thanks a lot for this input. Could you provide some code that
> replaces what Guillaume did by hand ? Since Guillaume prepared a debian
> package, it could simply be a new version of this package using corba
> instead of hand made communication. The package/software is small enough
> and is a good demo example.

Um...  I think I'd need a briefing of what he did before I can try and
replace it with something else.  I browsed through my CVS checkout,
and I can't find where exactly the communication layer lies.  Feel
free to enlighten me.

  Anyway, I attach my skeleton scripts (I would have gladly posted
them on the Savannah code snippet library, only I'm told that there
isn't any ;-).  They are not intended to show all the features of
CORBA, but they can provide a starting point.  Depending on what you
want to try out, you'll need the following Debian packages: liborbit0,
perl, libcorba-orbit-perl, python, and python-orbit.

>       I think that would be a lot more efficient than me or
> Guillaume trying to understand and argue in favor or against Corba
> because we both know nothing about it. And I guess it will also be
> less effort for you than a painful discussion with complete newbies
> ;-)

  Flattery will get you nowhere, you evil, er, you evil you!  I hope
these scripts will help you see the Way, though.  You'll note that
less than 300 real lines of code give you two fully functional servers
and two fully functional clients, in two languages,
network-transparent, and self-contained (no need to rsync of wget
remote XML files).  And it's not hard to setup at all.

>       Code speaks for itself. We are not at all reluctant to use
> Corba, we just don't have a clue on how to do it for real and an
> example on our current codebase will help us a lot to get started.

  Here goes...

  Have fun,

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Just because you're dead doesn't mean they aren't still out to get you.
  -- Virgil, in Ye Gods! (Tom Holt)