[Savannah-dev] debian packaging and protocol thoughts

From: Guillaume Morin
Subject: [Savannah-dev] debian packaging and protocol thoughts
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:07:32 +0100

Hi folks,

The Savannah plan specifies that all services can be distributed.
Therefore we'll need a package for each of this service. Therefore I
suggest : savannah-{type}-server

Then a mailing list server would become savannah-lists-server and so on.
A particular box would be the dump server that would provide dumps for
everyone. I'd like to know if anyone has concerns with this concept.

We surely have to choose a protocol since we'll need a two days dialog
between the different services and the dumps server, e.g :

a list must be created -> it appears in the dump -> dump is retrieved by
lists server -> it creates the list -> it informs the dump server that
the list has been created -> the dump server modifies the database.

the dump->lists is easy, it is just rsyncing dumps generated by the
dumps server. The other one needs to be specified. I suggest to create
an dumps upload zone on the dumps server. The uploaded files would be
parsed and the necessary changes would be done in the DB.

I am asking this because the lists backend is about to have all the
pieces it needs. The next step is the merge of all individual components
I've written and a significant packaging effort.

Any comments on this welcome.

--
Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>

        Debian - What your mom would use if it were twenty times easier.
                            http://www.copyleft.net/