Re: Tools for harmonic analysis (Riemann style)

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Tools for harmonic analysis (Riemann style)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 23:15:18 +0200

Hi,

but I have to some degree lost track of
much of the discussion of the last 20 years, and when I actively worked
with that kind of written harmonic analysis (while at the
Musikhochschule) I didn't have much of a scholarly mind-set. So in fact.
I was *not* aware of all this...
at the Musikhochschule Mannheim, we were only taught some basic roman
numeral stuff. IMO, that's a shame. Now being a high school teacher, I know
what I was missing back then.
OK, enough complaining...  ;-)

If this was a "Schulmusik" course (music education for aspiring high school teachers), at least your instructors probably could assume a fairly even-distributed amount and flavour of prerequisites in the participants, so it was easy for them: They could simply teach the style the liked most :-). Not that I would endorse this...

(I'd be interested in what you're missing and at which point in your high school teaching you feel the need for the respective harmonic analysis tools, but maybe that's a matter for a private conversation.)

In my teaching for students majoring in their respective instruments, I almost always have very international classes, and I make a habit of letting them explain to me the way they learned harmony in their respective home countries. The general tendency seems to be that in most countries, roman numerals are used (with differences with respect to whether there's an upper-/lowercase distinction and how inversions are being expressed - IIb vs. II6 vs. ii6 and so on), and that people from German-speaking countries have either i) no previous knowledge at all or ii) are acquainted with "German" (Malerian) function symbols. But there's lots of other variants - a student from China once showed me "his" symbols that were something like S ii 56 (hence, combining functional analysis, roman numeral and figured bass symbols in one huge symbol), and someone from the Baltic states showed my a flavour of "Riemannian" functional symbols with lots of juxtapositions ("ST" with strikethrough) that I never saw anywhere else...

Back to topic: I think it would be a reasonable first step to try and get an overview of some important existing variaties of analysis symbols and try to decide which of them should be supported in what way. This is a project I'd volunteer to be involved in - but I warn that, at least in Germany, each author tends to invent his/her special symbols...

Lukas