Re: Template management for LilyPond

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Template management for LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 09:02:56 +0100

> On 26 Apr 2019, at 00:49, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> But the OP was not requiring a multiuser development environment, but a
> multi-device one.

Indeed - but no harm in looking at other possibilities if planning a request
for changes in Frescobaldi.

> For multiple users on one project surely you would use git nowadays, on
> github or your own server, pretty much the universal answer (because it works
> so well).

Being an elderly and amateur single-user, I have limited experience of GitHub,
but I take your point.

> The issue is about sharing _templates_ and _snippets_ not includes. I am
> going to start on modifying F. to support that. Should not be difficult. It's
> a logical request, and an idea that would not have been thought of before
> cloud services became widely available.

I can accept the idea that snippets should stand on their own feet and be
complete in themselves, but I envisage a template as being larger — perhaps one
of a family of similar entities. In this context it makes a lot of sense to use
\include files for code which is common to all. In the event that a bug in such
a code fragment is discovered, it doesn’t need to be fixed in every file of
which it would necessarily be a part if you excluded the use of \includes. This
happened to me recently when a change in Lilypond version made illegal a piece
of code which I had previously got away with!

> Sure, you can load a file and 'save as'. But 'new from template' is currently
> supported and a nice function.

Absolutely right - I’ll be using it from now on now that I’ve “rediscovered” it!

Michael