Re: Template management for Frescobaldi (was: LilyPond)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Template management for Frescobaldi (was: LilyPond)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 00:18:32 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Am 25.04.19 um 14:18 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Hi Sven,

That's terrible - storing potentially very large blocks of text in the Windows registry.

I think storing it in a config file on Linux is only gradually less bad (it's less bad because that file is only relevant for a single application, but still I agree that a config file is not a good place for storing that kind of information.

Given that the OP's request is very reasonable, this sounds like the basis for a change request to Frescobaldi, to expose the templates and snippets in a more accessible way. That would be something I would be interested to work on. i think the concept of storing config and data in a remote cloud enviroment post dates the original invention of Frescobaldi, but it's a really good idea.

In fact templates are stored as snippets within the Frescobaldi configuration. One reasoning not to have them in an (external) directory may have been the need to manage both built-in and custom elements - but that should be rather trivial to address.

There should be a configurable root directory to store snippets and templates. I suggest that this can include a folder hierarchy that maps to an implicit hierarchy in snippets/templates categories. One directory within the Frescobaldi source directory could transparently be merged into  that hierarchy so built-in items can also be stored as independent files.

The current code to save a current document as template is in frescobaldi_app/snippet/template.py, the "New from template" function is implemented in frescobaldi_app/snippet/menu.py (if you want to start looking into the matter - although that would have to be completely rebuilt from scratch in another module, I suppose.

Best
Urs

I'd prefer to change the subject here to Template management in Frescobaldi, because that is what we are talking about.

Andrew