iiwusynth-devel

Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Fw: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more a

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Fw: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more about iiwusynth
Date: 12 Jun 2002 01:54:58 -0600

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 12:19, Peter Hanappe wrote:

> I talked mostly with the other LAD'ers and not so much with the people
> coming in the booth. On saturday I had a long talk with Takashi Iwai
> (alsa team, sfxload, helped also on timidity). I showed him Swami and
> iiwusynth. He seemed to like both a lot. I also talked to Matthias
> Nagorni (alsa project) who wanted to use iiwusynth as a ladspa plugin
> in his project AlsaModularSynthesizer.

I'm fairly familiar with Takashi Iwai, at least via email :) I'm
assuming he was the oriental looking guy I saw on the web cam.

> Sunday I showed iiwusynth mainly to Steve Harris (are you on the mailing
> list Steve?). We talked mainly about LADSPA and JACK integration (I
> showed the Markus' ladspa extensions in iiwusynth).

Actually I haven't checked out the ladspa extensions yet. Partly because
I really don't have the CPU to spare :(

> I did do that much demo'ing. The weekend just flew by and I didn't have
> a computer at my disposal. I'd like to have shown Muse + Swami +
> iiwusynth, but only Frank Neuman's machine had a working Muse and he was
> actively demonstrating Linux audio applications.

That was my experience at the last LinuxTag. I barely demoed Smurf while
I was there, and when I did have the chance I found that I really didn't
know how to put on a good demo. Its funny how familiar one can get with
a program, to the point where its hard to know where to start when
showing someone how to use it.

> BTW. the release you made last week compiled and ran fine
> all the two machines were I installed it.

Good to know.

> Specifying max polyphony on the command line is very easy to do.
> When the max polyphony is reached and a new notes comes in, a voice
> stealing algorithm is used. The MIDI standard gives some guidelines
> about what voices should be released first, based on channel priority
> (drum channel has highest priority) and release phase.
>
> The iiwusynth does all that, so specifying max polyphony can give
> you a guarantee about maximum CPU usage.

Cool, I was not aware that it was that sophisticated.

> It would be good to specify that notes should be cut off below a certain
> volume. Again this should be configurable. According to the soundfont
> standard, it should at -100 dB but I think using -80 dB won't make a
> noticeable difference in many situations.
>

> Lates!
> Peter

Lates..
        Josh