iiwusynth-devel

RE: [iiwusynth-devel] Fw: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more about iiwusynth

From: Josh Green
Subject: RE: [iiwusynth-devel] Fw: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more about iiwusynth
Date: 07 Jun 2002 15:19:12 -0600

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 04:00, M. Nentwig wrote:

> There will be different optimum tradeoffs between speed and quality,
> depending on what you want to use the synth for. I use it for real-time
> playing, never more than 10 fingers, so I see myself tending more
> towards the 'quality' corner. But let's find a good compromise in the
> middle and optimize that, we'll probably get a better result than
> implementing different options.
>
> Cheers
>
> Markus

I'm curious what the possibility is of making iiwusynth modular. I
wonder how much overhead it would add, and how this could be
accomplished. Would function calls add significant overhead if executed
once for each synthesis stage during an audio fragment?
Like you said, there are many different speed/quality trade offs. If
this was configurable it would add a great amount of flexibility. When
doing live work one could switch to linear interpolation, lower
qualities of Reverb/Chorus/Filter, etc. Then once one has the recorded
MIDI data this could then be run again (perhaps not even in real time
for very high quality processing) and rendered to the final recording.
Anyways, I've heard this mentioned before, but it was never really
elaborated on. How much trouble would this type of functionality be?
Cheers.
        Josh Green