iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Re: iiwusynth CVS: Swami-related mod bug fixed, implem

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: iiwusynth CVS: Swami-related mod bug fixed, implemented turnoff condition for voice
Date: 12 Jun 2002 01:54:51 -0600

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 12:02, M. Nentwig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have fixed the bug that prevented Swami from controlling Iiwusynth's
> modulators.

Right on, looking forward to checking it out. Now I just need to
implement a nice interface to MIDI controllers. I was thinking of
creating some widgets like one where you can set different effects for
the 2 mouse axis, clicking on it would enable control of it. I've also
wanted to set up plugins for other types of controls like joysticks. I'm
still not sure how far I should go in the sequencer direction with
Swami, though.

> By the way: Great job, Josh! It does not only work, it also looks good!
> And compiled without any complaints.

Good to hear :) I also like the way the modulator editor turned out,
thanks to the pixmap-combo widget I ripped from libgal. I have been
experiencing a bug in the regular text combo widget, the bottom amount
source control combo will fail to pop up a selection list with scroll
bars when it is too close to the bottom of the screen. I've ran into
bugs with the option menu too, I hope these have been fixed in GTK 2.0.

> Now I have added a condition, that turns off the voice, when the volume
> is below the noise floor. This is nothing new, but now I'm actually
> running a peak detector on the loop part of the sample to get an
> estimate of the amplitude. This reduces the release time by roughly 20
> percent on a typical piano (in other words, it is still 80 % of the full
> release up to -96 dB).
> We should check, if it makes sense, or if the peak detection burns more
> CPU time than it saves.

Cool, I'll give it a try.

> Cheers
>
> Markus
>
> PS: I saw that there is a lot going on in the 'Windows' corner. Any
> chance to get an executable for iiwusynth? I just reactivated my good
> old Cakewalk 5.0; if I could connect that to Iiwusynth...

I've been thinking about porting Swami to Windows. Now that I don't have
to think about writing a special wavetable driver, there is really
nothing stopping me. I think I need to re-write libInstPatch first using
glib though, its rather un-portable as is. Does anyone know how I could
do a win32 cross compile? Also, is mingw32 a good choice? It would be
really neat to be able to release win32 versions without actually having
to have that evil operating system installed :) Cheers!
        Josh