Re: Emacs 28: bitmap fonts, vector font character spacing

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: Emacs 28: bitmap fonts, vector font character spacing
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:49:33 +0200

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I’m having some trouble trying to set up a pleasant font after upgrading
> to Emacs 28.  Would someone be so kind to help?
>
> For many years I was happily using the “Terminus” bitmap font in Emacs
> and terminal windows on “regular density” displays.  On “HiDPI” displays
> I switched to vector fonts, but for low density displays I preferred the
> crisp Terminus.
>
> I recently upgraded Emacs from 27.1 to 28.2 as part of upgrading to the
> new Debian stable and this broke my font setup.  I have something like
> the following in my emacs config.
>
> (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Terminus-12"))
>
> With Emacs 28.2 the default font is now much too small (I’m not even
> sure whether it’s still Terminus).  It is possible to choose Terminus
> with M-x menu-set-font, but this shows the same tiny font independently
> of the chosen size.

Hi,

FWIW, I'm still on "LoDPi" displays and I'm too using a bitmap font
(uw-ttyp0 for me).  I' running current (bleeding edge) Emacs with cairo
and my font are correct.  I do not use 'default-frame-alist but I'm
setting font with: (set-frame-font "Terminus-16") for instance.  Could
you try it?

To see (among other things) the font used font a character, you could
type 'C-u C-x =' on said character.
--
Manuel Giraud