Re: Emacs 28: bitmap fonts, vector font character spacing

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Emacs 28: bitmap fonts, vector font character spacing
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:37:30 +0200

    Christoph> Thanks for the quick clarification!  Perhaps that NEWS entry
could be
    Christoph> reformulated to be more categorical?  “Some problems” sounded to
me like
    Christoph> there could be ways to work around the problem, and I wasted too
much
    Christoph> time trying to find one.  (As strange as it sounds, after
staring at
    Christoph> Terminus for a couple of hours on most days for many years I grew
    Christoph> attached to it...)

This is what it originally said. We canʼt change it now, emacs-28 is
released (and 29 is around the corner).

    ** The Cairo graphics library is now used by default if present.
    '--with-cairo' is now the default, if the appropriate development files
    are found by 'configure'.  Note that building with Cairo means using
    Pango instead of libXFT for font support.  Since Pango 1.44 has
    removed support for bitmapped fonts, this may require you to adjust
    your font settings.

Robert