Re: Emacs 28: bitmap fonts, vector font character spacing

From: Christoph Groth
Subject: Re: Emacs 28: bitmap fonts, vector font character spacing
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:28:52 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org>
> > Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:15:24 +0200
> >
> > I noticed the following entry in NEWS:
> >
> > > ** The Cairo graphics library is now used by default if present.
> > > '--with-cairo' is now the default, if the appropriate development
> > > files are found by 'configure'.  Building with Cairo is known to
> > > cause some problems with bitmap fonts.  This may require you to
> > > adjust your font settings, or to build with Xft support instead.
> >
> > Unfortunately, this is not very specific.  Do “some problems” mean
> > that fonts like Terminus no longer work and that I have to recompile
> > Emacs if I want to use them, or is there some workaround?  I tried
> > to find one, but so far without success.
>
> Basically, Cairo dropped support for bitmap fonts.  So I'd expect them
> not to work at all in an Emacs built with Cairo.

Thanks for the quick clarification!  Perhaps that NEWS entry could be
reformulated to be more categorical?  “Some problems” sounded to me like
there could be ways to work around the problem, and I wasted too much
time trying to find one.  (As strange as it sounds, after staring at
Terminus for a couple of hours on most days for many years I grew
attached to it...)