Re: Re[2]: [ft] Font Style

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [ft] Font Style
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:07:55 +0900

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:19:02 +0300
Nikolay Mikhailov <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Do you mean flags in FT_FaceRec (e.g. style_flags)?
>> They are used to "indicate" the font properties,
>> not to give orders for synthesization to FreeType.
>
>Can I ask... Bold (font-weight) can be 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600,
>700, 800 or 900. But style_flags can be FT_STYLE_FLAG_BOLD or normal.

Yes. I think, FT_STYLE_FLAG is intended to be style flag of
MacOS QuickDraw (and Windows GDI?), which has no parameter to
tune embolding strength. As we can find a button of embolding
but no slider to tune the embolding strength on most cheap
office suite applications, I guess there are wide requirement
of artificial embolding and slanting, but requirement of
tuning them is not wide.

>How can I get face with other weight?

I'm afraid there's no widely-applicable algorithm to embold
glyphs. Do you have any proposal? Usually, "embolding" is
done by overlapping of glyphs with slightly shifted origins.
Such embolding can easily reduces complexed CJK glyphs into
black square. In CJKV book by Ken Lunde, it is explained
that there is fundamental difference of graphical data between
XXX-Light and XXX-Heavy CJK glyphs.

Regards,
mpsuzuki