[ft] otf autohint/nohint problem

From: Roger Flores
Subject: [ft] otf autohint/nohint problem
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:20:38 -0800

I'm having problems with the appearance of an otf font.  It appears very differently (principally in size) depending on if FT_LOAD_NO_AUTOHINT or FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT.  There is about a glaring (33%?) height difference.  All other appearance issues are reasonably similar.  I've attached a png with a 'A' from each.

I think the font's appearance should be almost identical.  I'd like to know why it isn't.  I've traced through layers of the code but I don't see any obviously bad paths taken.  How can I figure out what is causing the different behavior?  Is there a function is FT that I should be looking in?  Could it be built wrong?

I am using 2.1.10 on Windows.  I can see the difference by changing the hints mentioned.  The font is called TradeGothic.  It is an otf font with no embedded bitmaps.  I don't have the patented hinting enabled.

My code is basically

int error = FT_Load_Char(face, ch, FT_LOAD_DEFAULT|FT_LOAD_NO_AUTOHINT);
PAL_Assert(error == 0);

error = FT_Get_Glyph(face->glyph, &glyph);
PAL_Assert(error == 0);

error = FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap(&glyph, FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL, NULL, 1);
PAL_Assert(error == 0);

return (FT_BitmapGlyph)glyph;

I've tried ftview.  The font appears similar to FT_LOAD_NO_AUTOHINT.  Toggling hinting makes no difference.

Appreciatively,

-Roger