RE: [ft] otf autohint/nohint problem

From: Roger Flores
Subject: RE: [ft] otf autohint/nohint problem
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:11:12 -0800

> > My code is basically [...]
>
> Well, I suppose the `basically' is the problem :-) Have you
> tried the `example1.c' file from the tutorial?

No, I haven't.  The code used comes from
http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-glyph_manag
ement.html#FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap which I assume is a reasonable example to
use.

I'm not sure of the difference between the two codes.  It appears to me
that example1.c uses direct structure dereferencing whereas the
reference docs example uses function calls to extract the values.  Maybe
the example1.c way is smarter from a speed perspective but I'm concerned
since there seemed to be work happening in FT_Get_Glyph and
FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap.  I really like to know why the example code is
better than the reference code, because I'm not finding it obvious.

In case there really is a problem with the code I have, I've found I can
reproduce the same problem with ftview.  I'll attach a png.  It appears
that if only glyph hinting is on (the third case), then the font is
drawn too small.  If autohinting is on, or if glyph hinting is off, the
font appears as expected.  Perhaps there is a hint in this font that
isn't being interpreted correctly?  I tried a Eurostyle.ttf font and it
appeared correct.

There also seems to be another (ftview?) problem.  If hinting is turned
off (h), then autohinting (f) can be toggled without any visual changes.

Thanks again,
-Roger