Re: [ft] Font Style

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Font Style
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:12:01 +0900

Hi

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:49:59 UT
Paresh Deshmukh <address@hidden> wrote:

>  I am trying to get a glyph with italic style
>but even after setting the style flag it won't
>change the glyph.

Do you mean flags in FT_FaceRec (e.g. style_flags)?
They are used to "indicate" the font properties,
not to give orders for synthesization to FreeType.

>I am going through old discussion of freetype
>list and find the freetype does not provide any
>facility to get Bold or Italic style.

Check ftsynth.c. However, they are still experimental
and should not be used for stable purpose, I think.
You can find discussion of embolding algorithm in
freetype-devel list. Also I recommend to check fontconfig
list for various trouble cases and reports for artificial
embolding and slanting.

>  1. Problem with bold: How can I write iteratively
>     with different size for same font? it will be
>     very slow .. is any better method is there.

Sorry I don't understand what you want to do. Are you trying
to display something like Windows' font manager sample text?

>  2. Italic Style: if set transform is used for italic
>     effect. then what to do when we need to print 90,
>     180 or  270 degree with same effect?

Again I don't understand what you want to do.