Re: [Freetype] More bugs on Macintosh.

From: Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] More bugs on Macintosh.
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:30:07 +0200 (MET DST)

Werner wrote on 12-JUL-2002 22:31:33.09

>> Why was this line in FTREND1.C changed anyway, and please check if
>> this code is correct.
>
>The idea was to make bitmap access a bit faster (IIRC, this change
>was suggested on the list).
>
>I can't find the bug, sorry.  Just checked the code in ftraster.c for
>mono rendering, and it seems to me that `pitch' is used properly
>everywhere, i.e., it is accessed only to compute the offset of the
>start of a line and not to get offsets within a line.  Theoretically,
>the value of `pitch' shouldn't make a difference provided it is big
>enough to hold a line.

Ah,... I see what the problem is. This change breaks compatibility with
earlier versions which my application did not anticipate:
  -The resulting bitmap is larger and may contain "empty" bytes just in the
     middle (at the end of the rows)

I do not like this : Now my application has to get the blanks out before
sending the whole to the printer, which gives a performance loss, which may be
larger than gained. Maybe the choice of odd/even versus even-only pitch
should be optional.

                       Jouk

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  address@hidden

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM          tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Rotterdamseweg 137                       tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 AL Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd