Re: [Freetype] More bugs on Macintosh.

From: Sebastien BARRE
Subject: Re: [Freetype] More bugs on Macintosh.
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:55:17 -0400

At 7/12/2002 02:15 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >>    * src/raster/ftrend1.c (ft_raster1_render): Make `pitch' always
> >>    an even number.
>
> Why was this line in FTREND1.C changed anyway, and please check if
> this code is correct.

The idea was to make bitmap access a bit faster (IIRC, this change
was suggested on the list).

I can't find the bug, sorry.  Just checked the code in ftraster.c for
mono rendering, and it seems to me that `pitch' is used properly
everywhere, i.e., it is accessed only to compute the offset of the
start of a line and not to get offsets within a line.  Theoretically,
the value of `pitch' shouldn't make a difference provided it is big
enough to hold a line.

Maybe I'm blind...

Hi Werner

I'm the one who actually found the pb and reported it to Henry Maddocks. Note that I'm using Henry's FTGL on top of Freetype.

The following screenshot shows the difference between the font in mono mode and full anti-aliasing mode.

I tracked the difference between the last 3 releases, and ended up with the line of code Henry reported. This is definitely the place where the pb is, no doubt about it.

I think you probably should just do the math with several values and you will notice that both ways of "rounding" are not identical :)

Sebastien