Re: [Freetype] More bugs on Macintosh.

From: Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] More bugs on Macintosh.
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:10:10 +0200 (MET DST)

Werner wrote on 12-JUL-2002 12:47:43.11
>> I addition to the missing symbols the pitch for bitmaps is also broken
>> on the MAC. These are the relevant entries in the Changelog
>>

>> 2002-04-30  Werner Lemberg  <address@hidden>
>>
>>      * include/freetype/config/ftconfig.h: Define FT_MACINTOSH for
>>      Mac platforms.
>>      * src/base/ftobjs.c: s/macintosh/FT_MACINTOSH/.
>>
>>      * src/raster/ftrend1.c (ft_raster1_render): Make `pitch' always
>>      an even number.
>>

>> changing src/raster/ftrend1.c back to what it was previously fixes the
>> problem.
>
>Can you debug this, please?  I don't have a Mac; maybe byte order
>problems cause this failure.

This src/raster/ftrend1.c problem seems not Mac-related. It also caused the
problem I was suffering, and reported some weeks ago, on my OpenVMS system.
So it is NOT the byte order,
since OpenVMS is little endian just like Intel/Linux.
The latest CVS version changed one line in ftrend1.c (see diff's below). The
old one (FTREND1.C;9) just works fine, the current one causes that, on
OpenVMS, data is written outside data-pace into the executable code of the
program, which causes a spectacular crash!!!!

When I did some debugging, as far as I got because of memory problems,
I saw that the width and heights of the characters in bitmaps gave some
unexpected values.

Why was this line in FTREND1.C changed anyway, and please check if this code
is correct.

                   Jouk

polka-jj) diff FTREND1.C
************
File $DISK6:[JOUKJ.PUBLIC.FREETYPE.FREETYPE.FREETYPE2.SRC.RASTER]FTREND1.C;9
  170         pitch = ( width + 7 ) >> 3;
  171         bitmap->pixel_mode = ft_pixel_mode_mono;
******
File $DISK6:[JOUKJ.PUBLIC.FREETYPE.FREETYPE.FREETYPE2.SRC.RASTER]FTREND1.C;8
  170         pitch = ( ( width + 15 ) >> 4 ) << 1;
  171         bitmap->pixel_mode = ft_pixel_mode_mono;
************

Number of difference sections found: 1
Number of difference records found: 1

DIFFERENCES /IGNORE=()/MERGED=1-
    $DISK6:[JOUKJ.PUBLIC.FREETYPE.FREETYPE.FREETYPE2.SRC.RASTER]FTREND1.C;9-
    $DISK6:[JOUKJ.PUBLIC.FREETYPE.FREETYPE.FREETYPE2.SRC.RASTER]FTREND1.C;8

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  address@hidden

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM          tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Rotterdamseweg 137                       tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 AL Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd