[Freetype] Special one-char font?

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] Special one-char font?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:19:59 -0700

I want to implement a text edit control for a custom GUI platform that
displays only '*' characters when drawing text. That way, a password
input can be implemented much more easily. Is there a way to create
a TrueType (or similar) font that has only one characterand all requests
for any character always return that same character? This font must
cover all of Unicode, so I can't just replicate the character in FontLab.

The only other alternative I can think of is to have some kind of shim
or new driver that sits between my API and FreeType, but that wouldn't
be convenient when just making a special font would solve everything.

Any answers?

Paul