RE: [Freetype] Special one-char font?

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: RE: [Freetype] Special one-char font?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:06:10 -0700

   >>You may also want to consider the possibility of
   >>users trying to do a cut and paste from your password
   >>entry field.  This should, of course, result in them
   >>getting a string of '*' characters rather than the
   >>password, since the whole point of displaying asterisks
   >>is to obscure the password.

It is a lot simpler to just disable copying to the clipboard
with the text. Nobody could possibly want to copy a password
string and paste it somewhere else as *****. Web browsers,
for example, simply disable the clipboard rather than try to
put something like ***** on it.

   >>It would probably be best to have your text edit control
   >>keep two strings -- one being the actual password, and the
   >>other being the displayed string of asterisks.  I believe
   >>this is the implementation method chosen by current widget
   >>sets.

I can do that, but it would make a mess of the text edit control
code. Try writing a multi-line multi-locale (UTF16, UTF8, and DBCS)
text editor with text selection, variable width fonts, and horizontal
and vertical scrolling and then try adding the system that you
describe into it and you get a lot of work when instead you can
solve the whole problem by simply using a different font.

Paul

You may also want to consider the possibility of users trying to do a cut
and paste from your password entry field.  This should, of course, result in
them getting a string of '*' characters rather than the password, since the
whole point of displaying asterisks is to obscure the password.

It would probably be best to have your text edit control keep two strings
-- one being the actual password, and the other being the displayed string
of asterisks.  I believe this is the implementation method chosen by current
widget sets.

Regards,
glb

--