Re: [Freetype] Special one-char font?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Special one-char font?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:35:59 +0200

Hello Paul,

Pedriana, Paul wrote:
I want to implement a text edit control for a custom GUI platform that
displays only '*' characters when drawing text. That way, a password
input can be implemented much more easily. Is there a way to create
a TrueType (or similar) font that has only one characterand /all/ requests
for any character always return that same character? This font must
cover all of Unicode, so I can't just replicate the character in FontLab.
The only other alternative I can think of is to have some kind of shim
or new driver that sits between my API and FreeType, but that wouldn't
be convenient when just making a special font would solve everything.
Any answers?

Of course it's possible. It simply isn't easy :-) I suspect that the time
you'll spend coding your shim will be a lot less than the one needed to
make your special font.

And if you do it in code, you'll be able to change the font used to
display the asterisk if you need to..

Regards,

- David Turner