[Freetype] Make: no valid name for 'include'

From: Jeremy Wadsack
Subject: [Freetype] Make: no valid name for 'include'
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:04:22 -0700

I've struggled with Freetype 2 on a half dozen different linux systems. I've tried version 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2-test and the latest snapshots. All of them come back with the same message when I build:

[freetype-2.0]# make setup
builds/modules.mk:74: no file name for `include'

FreeType build system -- automatic system detection

The following settings are used:

  platform                    ansi
  compiler                    cc
  configuration directory     ./builds/ansi
  configuration rules         ./builds/ansi/ansi.mk

If this does not correspond to your system or settings please remove the file
`config.mk' from this directory then read the INSTALL file for help.

Otherwise, simply type `make' again to build the library.

[freetype-2.0]# make
builds/freetype.mk:194: no file name for `include'
builds/compiler/ansi-cc.mk:76: *** invalid syntax in conditional.  Stop.

The later versions usually don't have the failure in the above make run, but still don't make anything. These are pretty standard linux distros with GCC, yet the 'make setup' does not seem to detect them. Following the instructions in docs/BUILD I have looked for a file to copy to ./config.mk, but none exists in the unix directory. When I run build/unix/configure, it properly detects the linux-i686 architecture, but build a pair of .mk files that don't work as drop ins for config.mk.

I've read through all the build directions (as limited as they are) and tried this on many different systems. From the message that make is giving back, it seems to me that there's a problem in the make file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and if you could get freetype.org to stay up for couple of days straight that would help to.

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group